Essentially anything structural requires a building permit, whereas cosmetic improvements do not (painting, carpeting, etc.). The purpose of building permits is to uphold safe and consistent construction standards. The City has adopted the 2003 International Building, Plumbing, Residential, Fuel Gas, Mechanical, Fire, and Energy Conservation Codes.
Permits are issued for siding, roofs, window replacement, fences, plumbing and sprinkler systems, concrete work, finishing the basement, converting a garage to a family room or bedrooms, remodeling and/or additions, and structure demolition. Before a permit is issued, construction plans must be approved. Karen has free basic building guides available for new detached garages, decks, carports, and patio covers.
Permit fees largely depend on the cost of labor and materials (see below), but smaller projects such as those listed here are charged at a flat rate of $25 plus tax on materials.
- Window Replacement (without structural change)
- Sidewalk/Driveway/Concrete patio, walkway, etc.
- Sprinkler Systems
Building Permit Fees
|$1 - $500||$23.50|
|$501 - $2,000||$23.50 for the first $500, plus $3.05 for each additional $100.00 or fraction therof, to and including $2,000|
|$2,001 - $25,000||69.25 for the first $2,000, plus $14 for each additional $1,000 or fraction therof, to and including $25,000|
|$25,001 - $50,000||$391.75 for the first $25,000, plus $10.10 for each additional $1,000.00 or fraction therof, to and including $50,000|
|$50,001 - $100,000||$643.75 for the first $50,000, plus $7.00 for each additional $1,000.00 or fraction therof, to and including $100,000|
|$100,101 - $500,000||$993.75 for the first $100,000, plus $5.600 for each additional $1,000.00 or fraction therof, to and including $500,000|
|$500,001 - $1,000,000||$3,233.75 for the first $500,000, plus $4.75 for each additional $1,000.00 or fraction therof, to and including $1,000,000|
|$1,000,001 +||$5,608.75 for the first $1,000,000, plus $3.65 for each additional $1,000.00 or fraction thereof|
Other Inspections and Fees:
- Plan review fee shall be 65% of the building permit fee as shown in this table.
- Inspections outside of normal business hours: $47.00 per hour* (Minimum Charge - two hours)
- Reinspection fees assessed under provisions of Sections 109.6 & R109.4: $47.00 per hour*
- Inspections for which no fee is specifically indicated: $47.00 per hour*
- Additional plan review required by changes, additions or revisions to plans: $47.00 per hour*
- For use of outside consultants for plan checking and inspections, or both: Actual Cost**
* Or the total hourly cost to the jurisdiction, whichever is the greatest. The cost shall include supervision, overhead, equipment, hourly wages and fringe benefits of the employees involved.
**Actual costs includes administrative and overhead costs.
Materials purchased outside of Brush are subject to a 4.0% use tax. Sec 4. Article 4