Brush has a rich history that is still evident today in the many historical sites located throughout the city.
The Sands Theatre building in Brush is the only building in Morgan County to claim the distinguished honor of being listed on the Historical Register. In 2008, Sands Theatre celebrates 50 years of bringing movies and entertainment to Brush.
The Sands Theater (formerly the Emerson Theater), with its V-shaped marquee sign, has continuously served as Brush's primary indoor public entertainment venue for almost nine decades. Started in 1916 by locally prominent citizen Charles W. Emerson, the building housed other small businesses off the lobby that provided food and tobacco for movie-goers. The current owner, Joe Machetta, ran the theater with much of the early equipment since 1958. The Sands Theatre continues to serve as a landmark to the Brush community.
All Saints Lutheran Church
This traditional basilica plan church was built in 1916 following the design of the Denver architectural firm of the Baerreson Brothers. The church is located on the grounds of the Eben Ezer Lutheran Care Center, a sanatorium established by Rev. Jens Madsen and his wife in 1903. It is significant as a statement of Danish influenced architecture and for its historical association with Danish Lutheran immigrants of the region.
Tours Contact: (970) 842-2861
The German Evangelical Immanuel Congregational Church is a good example of Late Gothic Revival church architecture. The church possesses the distinctive characteristics of this style, including pointed arch windows, tracery, square tower, and masonry construction. The design is the work of Denver architect Walter Simon, as well as builder Frank Kenney, a well-known Colorado contractor. The 1927 building is one of Simon's earliest commissions. In addition to designing numerous buildings across the state in the various revival styles popular at the time, the church is his only known example using the Late Gothic Revival style.
Contact: (970) 842-5904
Constructed in 1907, the church is a very good example of the Gothic Revival style. The building epitomizes the primary characteristics of this style as seen in its steeply pitched cross-gabled roof, masonry construction, stepped buttresses, crenellated square tower, pointed arch openings, and windows with label molds and tracery. The church has undergone minimal alterations; an educational wing was added to the southwest corner in 1963.
Contact: (970) 842-5904
Constructed in 1928, the Central Platoon School was an early Colorado adapter of the platoon form of student organization. Remaining in service until 1997, the predominantly two-story Italian Renaissance style brick building, designed by noted architects Mountjoy and Frewen, reflects the design principles for an effective platoon school as set forth by Roscoe David Case in his 1931 book, The Platoon School in America. The system divided the elementary school population into two groups that rotated between teachers and classrooms for instruction in traditional and specialized subjects.
Central School was placed on Colorado Preservation Inc.'s Most Endangered Places list in 2012.
Built in 1911, the school primarily offered classes in grades one through three. It served the needs of immigrant families, first Germans from Russia and then Hispanos, who worked the extensive sugar beet fields around Brush. The oldest surviving school in Brush, it operated for 61 years until school consolidation forced its closure. The school typifies many small, early 20th century civic buildings with its simple design, symmetrical classical massing, and utilitarian space planning resulting in a dignified and functional structure.
The Knearl School now houses the Brush Area Museum and Cultural Center. In 1994, a gift of $100,000 from the estate of Ada Cooper allowed the museum board to restore the school and achieve the designation of a historical landmark.